Points to Ponder:
- We cannot yet have a full program of activities, so returning for community worship is our first step.
- Governmental guidelines allow 50% capacity with social distancing of at least 6 feet, so we anticipate up to 80-90 in the room for each service. While it may seem like a normal Sunday (in numbers), each of us needs to be willing to sit in the designated locations, so basically, you can’t expect to sit in our usual seat.
- On-campus Bible Study and Sunday School will not return on Sunday mornings, our focus on Sundays will be on community worship in a safe environment.
- Children’s programming and Preschool child care are happening at 11:00am on Sundays.
- Many older adults (especially those with health considerations) will choose NOT to return due to health risks, which is advised and respected.
- Many of the “normal” activities of a usual Sunday will not happen.
- Meaning, the greeter and usher teams will not be back on duty, so we all can keep our distance.
- Deacon responsibilities are shifting to welcoming those in attendance, guiding people to proper seating locations, and cleaning/disinfecting after each service.
- The offering plate will not be passed (to avoid touching anything that someone else has handled).
- There will not be printed bulletins (same reason, too many people handling them before you get one).
- Face masks will not be required but are encouraged. You may remove your mask while in your seat (like you would at a restaurant).
Two Worship Experiences on Campus:
Our Sunday morning worship will look similar to what we have experienced online.
The Sunday schedule will look like this:
- 9am worship in the sanctuary
- 10am cleaning and preparation
- 11am worship in the sanctuary
The Online Service will Continue at 10:00
- Many people will not leave their homes and will choose to continue worshiping at home (at kgbc.us/live).
- Several people who have been tuning in do not live in our area.
- Those who work on Sunday mornings are able to join us and worship at a different time.
What About Sunday School?
There are several considerations in returning to our small groups and classes:
- Classes will not meet in the building on Sunday mornings.
- Social distancing will not be possible in your classrooms or in the hallways.
- Even if classes could social distance in their rooms, people exiting the classrooms into the hallways would violate the 6 foot rule, and we cannot effectively monitor social distancing.
- What about a class with a large room?
- To be fair, if all classes can’t meet in their rooms, then no classes should meet in their rooms.
- On a strategic level, the size of our rooms and the number of people involved on Sunday mornings will continue to limit the growth and launching of new small groups.
- So, to put our church in a posture for growth, we are developing groups meeting at times other than Sunday morning (evenings during the week and retired people meeting on weekday mornings or afternoons).
- Our Sunday focus will be on providing a quality worship service and keeping the area as safe as possible for those coming on campus.
- The 10am hour will be used for cleaning and preparing for the 11am service.
- Scott Chafee hosted all the adult teachers in a meeting on Thursday May 28, at 7pm, and discussed classes and their meeting options.
- The meeting was in the sanctuary, to spread out in a clean environment. The meeting also included a Zoom connection, for those who chose to remain at home due to health concerns.
- We discussed how to continue to provide pastoral care to the sheep over whom we have been made a shepherd.
- What are you doing to care for your little flock?
- What you share may inspire another class to more effectively reach out.
- What needs have you discovered? What needs have been met through your class members?
- Are you meeting on Zoom, or some other format?
- How have you been fostering Christian community, prayer requests, pastoral care, and keeping up with each other? Who may be falling through the cracks?
- The Discipleship Leadership Team and your Sunday School Director have met to discuss and plan for the return of adult classes on campus.
- Each class will meet in one location (the fellowship hall or room 18-20), separated by days or hours.
- These room can then be kept keep clean and disinfected.
- These room will provide for appropriate social distancing.
- We have set up an online calendar of class times and building use.
- Koinonia Class – Sundays at 10am (the pavilion)
- Good News Class – Sundays at 6:30pm.
- Pure Desire – Mondays at 7:00pm.
- Life Group – Wednesdays at 6:15pm.
- Spiritual Journey Class – Thursdays at 7:00pm.
- Several groups may continue to meet online.
- Bible Study Fellowship Class – Sundays at 9:45am.
- Tuesday Ladies – Tuesdays at 9:15am and 6:45pm.
- Men of Steel – Wednesdays at 7am.
- Teachers were invited to poll their classes to determine the best time to meet on campus.