Content for a Class Discussion
As a church family, get together to discuss a few of these questions, based on Ken’s passage on Sunday. Maybe you could gather your family around the dinner table to have this conversation.
Will you commit to this process of study and application to get more out of the message on Sunday? Join us in Room 7 on Wednesdays at 6:15pm, rain or shine, every week of the year (except for various holidays).
DON on 2022-11-27 – LIFE GROUP QUESTIONS for 2022-11-30
On November 27, Don Solomon talked about hope and used Elijah as a biblical example.
LIFE GROUP DISCUSSION: (1 Kings 19:1-18)
- What was one of the loneliest moments you can remember?
- Have you ever had a mid-life crisis or seen a family member go through it? Once? Several times? Never? What was it like?
- If Jezebel was on Mt. Carmel that day, would she be invoking her gods this way? Why? (1 Kings 19:1-2)
- Why do you think Elijah is suddenly afraid? (1 Kings 19:3)
- Why run to the desert? Why doesn’t God answer Elijah’s prayer to just let him die? (1 Kings 19:4) It there anything ironic in this prayer and the reality of his situation?
- What may be significance about the 40 days and nights, and going as far as Horeb? (1 Kings 19:8)
- What strikes you as unusual about God’s question to Elijah in the cave in 1 Kings 19:9?
- What do you sense is the tone in God’s question?
- What about the tone in Elijah’s answer in 1 Kings 19:10?
- After the earthquake and the fire, why does Elijah now sense God’s presence in the gentle whisper? (1 Kings 19:11-13)
- Why did God reveal Himself to Elijah when the prophet was discouraged?
- Of all the manifestations of God’s power, which might have Elijah wished God would show to his enemies?
- How does God best get your attention?
- When was the last time God asked you, “What are you doing here?”
- What might be the God’s tone in his question in 1 Kings 19:13?
- What about the tone in Elijah’s reply in 1 Kings 19:14?
- Read 1 Kings 19:10 and then 1 Kings 19:14. What does Elijah’s unchanged answer imply?
- What is the best news in 1 Kings 19:15-18?
- To what extent do you think Elijah was justified in being discouraged by his circumstances?
- In what settings have you felt that you were the only believer?
- Has your life taken a discouraging turn lately? Does God seem to care at all for your struggle? How can you be helped through this?
- What might tempt you to give up on God’s service or prompt you to abandon your life’s calling?