How Should We Respond to Jesus?
A Life That Follows Him
7 Facts about Following Jesus
- Following Jesus is more about who Jesus is than about what you do? (John 1:35-36) “Behold” has the idea of gazing intently for consideration.
- Following Jesus is foundational to every spiritual activity. (John 1:37) They heard and followed, indicating a completed action.
- Following Jesus always involves two key responses: (John 1:38-39)
- Turning – take a look, come find out, come and see, is Jesus a person worth following?
- Remaining – the call is to leave the past and move toward the future; today’s attrition rate is overwhelming, people don’t remain with Jesus.
- Following Jesus is always missional. (John 1:40-41) How does your faith show and shine?
- Following Jesus is a journey of spiritual growth. (John 1:42-46) Jesus saw Peter for who he would become, not just for who he was. If you are not growing, you are not following. Come as your are, knowing you are not mature.
- Following Jesus requires coming as you are. (John 1:47-50)
- Following Jesus is validated by the fullness of Christ’s identity. (John 1:51) As a shepherd calls his sheep, they hear his voice, regroup, and follow their shepherd; even in the midst of distress, danger, and discouragement.
Questions for Further Discussion:
- What gets you excited or enthusiastic?
- How would you feel if a good friend abandoned your friendship in favor of someone else?
- What nicknames have you had over the years?
- Who besides Jesus had disciples? (John 1:35)
- What did John say when he saw Jesus? (John 1:36)
- How did John identify Jesus for his disciples? (John 1:37)
- What did John’s disciples do when John identified Jesus? (John 1:37)
- What did Jesus ask John’s disciples? (John 1:38)
- What did John’s disciples call Jesus? (John 1:38)
- What did John’s disciples ask Jesus? (John 1:38)
- What was the first thing Andrew did after he had followed Jesus? (John 1:40)
- Who was Andrew’s brother? (John 1:40)
- What did Andrew tell his brother about Jesus? (John 1:41)
- What nickname did Jesus give to Simon? (John 1:42)
- What words did the author interpret for us? (John 1:37, 41, 42)
- What does it mean to follow Jesus?
- What hinders us from following Jesus?
- What must we leave to follow Jesus?
- To what friends and relatives could you introduce Jesus?
- How can we spend time with Jesus to get to know Him better?
- Whom do you want to introduce to Jesus this week?
- How could you introduce Christ to a friend or relative?
- What change in your daily routine would enable you to follow Jesus better?