Life Groups meet on Wednesdays at 6:00 pm (September 12 – April 10).
Come discover what real life and community is all about.
Those people who are in the company of the committed participate in church activities more than those on the fringe, occasional Sunday attendees, or 1-2 times a month “drive-by” attendees, so how can we get people more connected to each other?
Most of us hear several “truth units” each week but seldom have the opportunity to wrestle with the text, much less apply it. Spiritual growth happens in community. With so much biblical knowledge available, we need to learn how to apply the knowledge to effectively carry out our divine mission.
“We have Sunday School,” you may say. Sunday morning Bible study is great for knowledge but how often do we walk away from our lessons having discussed how to apply the text, and hold each other accountable for it?
Sermon-based small groups have several advantages over using regular curriculum, here are seven of the most powerful advantages:
- They Increase the Educational Impact
- They Pull in the Marginally Interested
- They Reach More People
- They Sharpen the Church-Wide Vision
- They Mainstream New Believers
- They Eliminate Idiot Questions
- They Help with Leadership Recruitment *
Implications for King’s Grant:
- We must learn how to discuss, wrestle, and apply the spiritual truth we encounter each Sunday.
- In our traditional format of discipleship, we share lessons, we don’t share life.
- It has been said that the American church is educated far beyond our obedience.
Why LIFE Groups?
Life is what we desire to share, as we experience authentic community. This is what our Life Group Initiative is all about:
LOVING – they will know we are Christians by our love… the song goes.
INVITING – we desire to build a culture of invitation, that people can belong here long before they become members.
FELLOWSHIPPING – the word is koinonia, sharing of a common life, much more than the church potluck supper.
EQUIPPING – we desire to build an equipping culture, for those who are the church to be. Trained in leadership and ministry to carry out the vision and mission of the church.
* These Advantages are adapted from Larry Osborne’s Small-Groups Starter Kit, copyright 2008 by North Coast Church; discovered in a article from Christianity Today.