Five Challenges of Every Follower of Christ
- The challenge of Opposition (from people and circumstances) (John 16:1-11)
- The challenge of Commitment (taking up the cross) (John 16:12-15)
- The challenge of The temporal (episodes of suffering) (John 16:16-22)
- The challenge of Growth (being stretched) (John 16:23-28)
- The challenge of Fear (that overwhelms and leads to compromise) (John 16:29-33)
Questions for Further Study:
- When might you use a figure of speech to explain something? Why?
- What painful experiences in your life have resulted in joy?
- When have you enthusiastically anticipated someone’s return or arrival?
- How did the disciples react to Jesus’ “in a little while” statement? (16:17-18)
- What did Jesus tell His disciples would happen to them? (16:19-20)
- To what did Jesus compare His disciples’ response to His departure and return? (16:21-22)
- What did Jesus tell His disciples they would do when they saw Him again? (16:23)
- What hadn’t the disciples done up until this point? (16:24)
- What kind of language did Jesus use to speak to His disciples? (16:25)
- Why did the Father love the disciples? (16:26-27)
- From where did Jesus come and to where was He going? (16:28)
- Why did the disciples say that they believed Jesus had come from God? (16:29-30)
- What did Jesus predict the disciples would do? (16:31-32)
- What did Jesus want for His disciples? (16:33)
- Why did Jesus tell the disciples to take heart? (16:33)
- How would you have responded to Jesus’ words had you been there with His disciples?
- What grief or sorrow in your life has God turned to joy?
- For what can we ask the Father?
- How has God made your joy complete?
- How does the knowledge of Jesus’ return make you joyful?
- What figures of speech have helped you better understand spiritual truths?
- What relationship do we have with the Father today?
- What trouble do we have in the world as followers of Christ?
- How does the fact that Jesus has overcome the world encourage you?
- In the midst of trouble, on what encouraging truth from this passage will you rely?
- Because of your restored relationship with the Father, what can you ask Him to give to you in
- What grief or sorrow do you need to entrust to God?
This is a helpful resource! Thank you. I love the Five Challenges.
with love, your friends downunder!