The Inner Life of the Follower of Jesus
Jesus teaches His disciples about the Holy Spirit
Questions for Further Study:
- When might you use a figure of speech to explain something? Why?
- What painful experiences in your life have resulted in joy?
- When have you enthusiastically anticipated someone’s return or arrival?
- How did the disciples react to Jesus’ “in a little while” statement? (John 16:17-18)
- What did Jesus tell His disciples would happen to them? (John 16:19-20)
- To what did Jesus compare His disciples’ response to His departure and return? (John 16:21-22)
- What did Jesus tell His disciples they would do when they saw Him again? (John 16:23)
- What hadn’t the disciples done up until this point? (John 16:24)
- What kind of language did Jesus use to speak to His disciples? (John 16:25)
- Why did the Father love the disciples? (John 16:26-27)
- From where did Jesus come and to where was He going? (John 16:28)
- Why did the disciples say that they believed Jesus had come from God? (John 16:29-30)
- What did Jesus predict the disciples would do? (John 16:31-32)
- What did Jesus want for His disciples? (John 16:33)
- Why did Jesus tell the disciples to take heart? (John 16:33)
- How would you have responded to Jesus’ words had you been there with His disciples?
- What grief or sorrow in your life has God turned to joy?
- For what can we ask the Father?
- How has God made your joy complete?
- How does the knowledge of Jesus’ return make you joyful?
- What figures of speech have helped you better understand spiritual truths?
- What relationship do we have with the Father today?
- What trouble do we have in the world as followers of Christ?
- How does the fact that Jesus has overcome the world encourage you?
- In the midst of trouble, on what encouraging truth from this passage will you rely?
- Because of your restored relationship with the Father, what can you ask Him to give to you in Jesus’ name?
- What grief or sorrow do you need to entrust to God?
Spread the Community, Faith, Love