Real Life Revealed
Now that Jesus is revealed, there are two necessary responses:
- THE EVERYDAY: a proper disposition of one’s life. (1:19-28)
Three attitudes we cannot avoid:
- THE ETERNAL: a proper recognition of His life. (1:29-34)
Three truths we cannot miss:
- the answer to sin
- the fullness of life
- the promise of God’s personal presence with His own through the Holy Spirit.
- Knowing Jesus is not based on knowledge, but how we follow him.
- If we know him well, our lives will tell.
Questions for Further Discussion:
- Why do people enjoy boasting about themselves and their accomplishments?
- Why is it hard to be humble?
- What are the characteristics of a humble person?
- What function do initiation rites serve in a club or society?
- What can you infer about someone from his or her title (such as Doctor, Professor, or Prince)?
- What did the Jews want to know? (John 1:19)
- Who did the Jews think John was? (John 1:20-21)
- What did John say about who he was? (John 1:20-22)
- In what way was John a “voice of one calling in the desert”? (John 1:23)
- What does the phrase “make straight the way for the Lord” mean? (John 1:23)
- How did John “make straight the way for the Lord”? (John 1:23)
- Why did the Pharisees care that John was baptizing people? (John 1:24)
- What did John say he was not worthy to do? (John 1:27)
- Who did John say was coming after him? (John 1:27)
- Where did these events take place? (John 1:28)
- Why did John call Jesus the Lamb of God? (John 1:29)
- What are the sins of the world? (John 1:29)
- What does Jesus do with the sins of the world? (John 1:29)
- What did John mean that Jesus surpassed him because He was before him? (John 1:30)
- How was Jesus before John? (John 1:30)
- Why did John say he didn’t know who Jesus was? (John 1:31)
- What reason did John give for baptizing Jesus? (John 1:31)
- Why did John come to baptize people? (John 1:31)
- What creature represented the Spirit of God? (John 1:32)
- Why did the Spirit come down upon Jesus? (John 1:33)
- With what did John baptize? (John 1:31, 33)
- With what will Jesus baptize? (John 1:33)
- What title did John ascribe to the person he baptized? (John 1:34)
- In what ways can you honor Christ with your accomplishments?
- How can we point others to Christ?
- In what situations is it difficult for you to be humble?
- If you had been John how would you have felt about your role?
- In what ways is your life like John’s?
- What special or unique means has God given you to share His Word?
- What sin of yours has Jesus taken away?
- How do we receive the forgiveness that Christ bought for us?
- In what way do you share Jesus’ identity as a child of God?
- What role does the Holy Spirit play in your life?
- How does Jesus baptize us?
- In what way can you be a voice for Jesus?
- What are some areas in which you struggle to be humble at this time in your life?
- In what specific ways can you point others to Christ this week?
- How can you honor Jesus’ Sonship with your life this week?
- What steps can you take to appreciate better who Jesus is?
- In what way can you reveal Christ to others this week?
Spread the Community, Faith, Love