WHO IS JESUS? – Real Life Defined
Real life defined by: The Foundational Truth
Who is Jesus? Life, Light, Grace, Truth, Power, Creator, Sent with a Purpose, Adoption through Reception.
- The Supremacy of Christ. (John 1:1-2) he is a person not a principle, near not distant.
- Why should I trust Him with my life? The Source of Life. (John 1:3-5)
- Materially – creation / made by him (1 Corinthians 8:6, Colossians 1:16)
- Spiritually – Life and Light – John 1:4 is past tense, while John 1:5 is present tense.
Real life defined by: The Historical Truth
- The truth of Jesus has always stood greater than the personalities of history. (John 1:6-9) John reflects the light, he is not the light.
- The truth of Jesus has always demanded a response from the lives of mankind throughout history. (John 1:10-13)
- Rejection – familiarity can blind us to the truth and we don’t see his supremacy.
- Reception – we are adopted into the family, not by Jewish descent.
Real life defined by: The Personal Truth
- We engage with His glory. (John 1:14-15)
- We experience His mercy. (John 1:16-17)
- We enjoy His presence. (John 1:18)
Questions for Further Discussion:
- What are some of the slang expressions you used growing up?
- In what ways are words different from visual images?
- Why does John’s gospel start at creation rather with the birth story?
- What are some facts about the Word we discover in John 1:1-5?
- Who is the Word? (John 1:1)
- What is the relationship between the Word and God? (John 1:1-2)
- What was the Word’s role in creation? (John 1:3)
- How is the “life” the light of men? (John 1:4)
- What was John’s role in relation to the light? (John 1:6)
- How did the light give light to every person? (John 1:9)
- Why didn’t the world recognize the light? (John 1:10)
- What is the benefit of receiving or believing in the Word? (John 1:12)
- How and why did the Word make His dwelling among us? (John 1:14)
- Whose glory did the Word reveal? (John 1:14)
- What did God give us through Moses? (John 1:17)
- What did God give us through Jesus? (John 1:18)
- Why is it significant that no one has seen God but “God the One and Only”? (John 1:18)
- Why did the Word become flesh and live among us?
- How does a person receive the Word?
- What happens when we receive or believe in the Word?
- In what way can you receive or welcome Christ into your life?
- What insights can you gain from seeing Jesus as God’s Word?
- How should being a child of God affect our lives?
- In what way is John an example for us to follow?
- How did Jesus reveal God’s glory to us?
- What do you need to do to be certain of your relationship with God?
- What will you do this week to better enjoy your status as a child of God?
- How should the reality that God became a man affect your life today?
- Where are you keeping Jesus?
- Is he a resident in your dwelling?
- Is he standing in the front hall?
- Is he kept in the parlor or living room?
- Are there rooms where he is uninvited?
- Does he possess the keys to the dwelling?