BETHLEHEM FORWARD, PART 1
Four Steps from Bethlehem forward:
Know Jesus as the Word of Life (1 John 1:1-2)
(The Word of life is the key purpose of this passage)
Foundation – John 14:1-6
General – Hebrews 1:1-2
Personal – Isaiah 40:13 – Our God is not a silent God
We move from the mind of God to possess the mind of Christ – 1 Corinthians 2:16
Do we settle for soundbites about Jesus or are we consumed with Jesus?
Live out the significance of the message (1 John 1:2-3)
(The term “declare” is the key verb of this passage)
Announcement from a special source (1 John 1)
Announcement that is special (Luke 2)
The Good Tidings of Luke 2 causes us to DECLARE the message to others.
Engage the Relationships (1 John 1:3)
(Christian fellowship is the key application of the passage)
Celebrate the Joy (1 John 1:4)
(“Joy” is the key outcome of encountering the Messiah.)
Questions for Further Discussion:
- What do you associate with the term “fellowship”?
- How do we know that the events we read about in history books really happened?
- What was from the beginning? (1 John 1:1)
- What contact did the writer and this community of believers have with the Word of life? (1 John 1:1)
- How did God reveal Himself to us? (1 John 1:2)
- What was being proclaimed by this community of believers? (1 John 1:2)
- Where had the eternal life been, and to whom had it appeared? (1 John 1:2)
- Why were the author and his fellow believers telling others about Christ? (1 John 1:3)
- With whom did this community of believers have fellowship? (1 John 1:3)
- Why was this letter written? (1 John 1:4)
- Why do you think John stressed his and this community of believers’ personal, physical, historical encounter with Jesus?
- How important are firsthand eyewitness testimonies, such as this writer’s, to your belief in Jesus?
- What fellowship do you have with the Father and His Son Jesus Christ?
- What fellowship do you have with other believers?
- How is our fellowship with God related to our fellowship with other believers?
- What blocks our fellowship with God and others?
- In what ways can we enhance our fellowship?
- In what way is your joy complete?
- What can you do to gain a better appreciation of the historical foundation of your faith in Christ?
- What specific steps will you take this week in order to deepen your fellowship with other believers?