CHURCH NOT A BURDEN. Spectator or Participant?
I Corinthians 12:12-20
Impact Point #8: I Will avoid religious traps in the church.
5 Facts about You and the Church
- Each member of the Body of Christ is made so by the Spirit of God (1 Corinthians 12:12-13).
- The significance of each individual part of the church exists in the formation of the whole (1 Corinthians 12:14).
- All individual parts of the Body of Christ are necessary for the proper functioning of the church (1 Corinthians 12:15-16).
- The uniqueness of the parts of the body are interdependent (1 Corinthians 12:17).
- God’s perfect design of the body is the oneness and diversity (1 Corinthians 12:18-20).
Questions for Further Discussion:
- When have you felt insignificant in an organization?
- What functions in the church do you feel are most important? Why?
- In what way are Christians like a human body? (1 Corinthians 12:12-13)
- Why should outward appearances or status not matter to us? (1 Corinthians 12:13)
- What unifies all Christians? (1 Corinthians 12:13)
- What makes Christians unified and dependent on one another? (1 Corinthians 12:13)
- What lessons are there in seeing the church as a human body? (1 Corinthians 12:14-17)
- Who arranged the parts of the body of Christ? (1 Corinthians 12:18)
- Why shouldn’t all Christians perform the same function? (1 Corinthians 12:19)
- Why should members of the body of Christ not say to each other, “I don’t need you”? (1 Corinthians 12:21-22)
- How might you compare your place in the body of Christ to a part of the human body?
- How well do you interact with other members in the body of Christ?
- When have you felt like an important or insignificant part of the body?
- What part do you serve in the body of Christ?
- How are you able to help other Christians?
- What has God appointed you to be in the body of Christ?
- Why do people often assume that certain duties in the church are more important?
- How can you honor the contributions of others in your church?
- How can you treat the “weaker” members of your fellowship as indispensable?
- What is one way you can show concern and love for another member of your church?
- What would be the best way to use your unique abilities in the body of Christ this year?