This message is from Proverbs 31, about the importance of mothers in the home, on this Mother’s Day 2017.
Billy Sunday: What did the pastor say that induced him to follow Christ? Nothing, but the godly life that I saw lived in the home.
Here the king reflects on the godly mother in his life.
1. External Influence: the illustration of a mother’s touch (Proverbs 31:10-24).
- Unique value – Proverbs 31:10.
- Endearment – by those who are dependent on her love.
- Integrity – her character and goodness are evident.
Production – The great call on your life. Notice these ten word pictures.
- Proverbs 31:13 – her joyful service, willing hands, serving others.
- Proverbs 31:14 – gives the very best – like the merchant ships.
- Proverbs 31:15 – sacrifices
- Proverbs 31:16 – initiative, right place at the right time.
- Proverbs 31:17 – work ethic and moral integrity
- Proverbs 31:18 – very conscientious
- Proverbs 31:19-20 – gifted in multitasking, meeting needs where they exist
- Proverbs 31:21 – a mother gives the very best not just getting by
- Proverbs 31:22-23 – otherness, taking care and thinking of others
- Proverbs 31:24 – work that is never below her dignity
2. The Internal Reality: the impact of God’s tough (Proverbs 31:25-31)
- Proverbs 31:25 – strength of God’s presence, and inward beauty – character is defined by who we are when the lights go out.
- Proverbs 31:26 – is able to speak but there are times when she does not speak. When she does speak, her words of kind and loving
- Proverbs 31:27 – never idle – never folding her hands with nothing to do, trustworthiness, and people can count on her
- Proverbs 31:28-29 – she is above them all, she surpasses other family members, her reputation precedes her. Proverbs 22:1, Romans 12:17
- Proverbs 31:30-31 – what people see in her should reflect the value and character of the Lord who leads her. Faith, integrity, trustworthiness, loyalty, fear of the Lord – Proverbs 14:26. Also see Philippians 2:12-13 – work out your salvation with fear and trembling. Obedience to and consecration in the Lord.
Lives are to be lived in honor and service to God.
- How would you describe a wife of noble character?
- How is the noble wife of this chapter different from or similar to the popular ideal today?
- What can we do to encourage wives and mothers in their God-given responsibilities?
- How is charm deceptive?
- Why is it important to keep in mind the fact that physical beauty is fleeting?
- How can you recognize the importance of inner beauty?
- What is one God-given role or responsibility (whether that of a wife or something else) you can devote to God’s service?
- How can you show appreciation to your mother or wife for her hard work and wisdom?