Pastor Ken Pruitt’s teaching from Matthew 28:1-7, on the Story of the Resurrection in Your Life. (We are very sorry about the wide angle view of this recording).
Observations from this morning…
The story of the gospel has this earliest confession of faith at its root, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4. The resurrection is central, but it can also be personal. These are real events happening to real people, but what comes next? This is a life-changing encounter that moves people from spectators into participants.
Ken led us through the 10 post-resurrection appearances of Jesus and emphasized that each one meant something personally to the people who witnessed it. This teaching will focus on Mary Magdalene, since she was the first. More details on these appearances may be found here.
1. Notice her PROBLEM (Matthew 28:1): she knew the captivity of darkness, and approaches the tomb out of duty, with a task to perform, she was carrying spices and sadness. A problem we all share is that we don’t always see the truth of the resurrection. The same power that raised Jesus from the grave is available to us! (Romans 8:11).
2. There was a PRESENCE (Matthew 28:2): the angel was on the stone, God steps in and was seen for the next 40 days.
3. Notice her change of PERSPECTIVE (Matthew 28:5): the dialog of Mary with this angel helps her realize that things are not as they seem. Transformation has happened and can still happen in our lives today. God can alter our lives beyond the routine. We have this living hope based on the resurrection of Jesus (1 Peter 1:3).
4. Mary also discovers there is a PLAN (Matthew 28:7): she is to go, tell, and meet with the disciples. The resurrection is not the end, but a beginning of a wonderful participation we have in the message and mission of the gospel. We have moved from observation to participation!
An Expanded Teaching Outline:
- Problem (Matthew 28:1) – came to the grave expecting death
- Power (Matthew 28:2) – the earthquake was severe and the stone was rolled away
- Presence (Matthew 28:3) – an angel of the Lord descended and speaks
- Petrified (Matthew 28:4) – the fear of the soldiers, they became like dead men
- Perspective (Matthew 28:5) – looking for the living among the dead?
- Person (Matthew 28:5) – they were not seeking a body but a living person
- Proof (Matthew 28:6) – he is risen, just as he said, see where he was lying
- Plan (Matthew 28:7) – go quickly and tell the disciples
- Participation (Matthew 28:7) – he is going before you (you are not sent alone)
- Proclamation (Matthew 28:10) – go and take the word to my brethren…
Don’t miss the next three weeks as Pastor Ken opens up about how this participation manifests itself through ministry, and how we are involved in that… Ministry 101 begins April 23, 2017.